Green Oak Charter Township, Michigan (18,700 residents), is a suburban community (AA- bond rated) with commercial retail and light industrial businesses located along the US-23 and I-96 corridor in Livingston County. We are seeking a candidate for our Lead Accountant position at the township.
The position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s in Accounting or Business Administration with a strong emphasis in accounting. The salary range is from $65,000 to $74,000 including a very competitive benefit package. Candidates should apply with cover letter, resume, references, background check waiver form, and completed Green Oak Charter Township application. Submit application and resume by March 8, 2021.
Submit the documents to Michael Sedlak, Township Clerk, at 10001 Silver Lake Road; Brighton, MI 48116 or email them to Michael.Sedlak@greenoaktwp.com.
Green Oak Charter Township is an equal opportunity employer.
Position: Lead Accountant/Municipal Accounting
Reports to: Township Clerk
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under the direction of the Clerk maintain detailed accounting records of the township utilizing the Uniform Chart of Accounts prescribed by the State Treasurer. The Lead Accountant maintains all the general accounting and financial reporting functions of the Township’s General Ledger. They assist the Supervisor in preparation of the budget as requested and is actively involved in the preparation of the annual audit.
The position requires maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, utility, payroll, and financial reporting. They review, monitor, and maintain internal controls for the Township and makes recommendations for improvements. This position ensures that accounting records are following GAAP and GASB accounting standards, laws, and regulations.
Hours: Full Time, 40 hours per week.
Benefits: As established by Township policies.
Functions and Responsibilities as Assigned to Include:
- Verify and analyze financial transactions, reports and statements.
- Complete monthly reconciliations of all the Township bank and investment accounts. Reconciles all balance sheet activities to the various funds including all due to/due from. Analyzes all revenue and expenditures to detect misclassifications. Makes all necessary journal entries to balance the various funds. Participates in non-routine special finance projects for the Township.
- Provide a monthly budget to actual report of financial status to all departments. Answers questions and resolves accounting problems for requesting departments.
- Aids, as requested, in the annual preparation of the Township budget.
- Leads in the annual preparation of the audit which includes all year-end schedules and workpapers on the Township funds.
- Provides payroll provider with accurate wage and hourly information for the Township administration, Police, and Fire departments biweekly. This includes timesheet entries into the payroll system and tracking payroll expenses by department. Initiates all register and distribution reports for payroll. Completes the annual workman’s compensation report. Works with Human Resource services to provide necessary employee and benefit information.
- Leads in processing and posting accounts payable and purchase order requests. Supervises and assists staff in maintaining records of expenditures on accounts payable and prepares necessary accounts payable reports for various departments and the Township Board.
- Effectively utilizes the Township’s BS&A financial management software including the General Ledger, Accounts Payable, and Purchase Order modules. Understand the Cash Receipting, Tax, and Utility Billing modules and work with the Treasurers Department regarding revenue, analysis, and reporting.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by Clerk.
- This employee may be called upon to do all the above functions. There may be other duties that the employee is expected to perform as well.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in accounting or degree with a heavy emphasis on finance.
- Must be bondable.
- Prefer a minimum of two years municipal accounting experience.
- Prefer experience in use of municipal accounting software. Familiarity with GASB accounting rules desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Officeâ applications, copy equipment, and other applicable office environment equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines and with frequent interruptions.
- The position requires skills necessary to effectively interact and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers and vendors. Applicant must be able to interact with the public to respond to inquiries.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move items of moderate weight, including file boxes, portable computers, etc. The employee must occasionally drive a vehicle, walk, stand, climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, depth perception, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An employee in this position spends most of their time in multiple office settings with a controlled climate where they sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time, communicate by telephone, email or in person, and move around the office or travel to other locations to attend meetings.
- Salary Range: $65,000 to $74,000 based on experience, skills, and abilities.
- Working Hours: Typical office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Additional hours may be required during audit and budget preparation time periods.
Full benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, a defined benefit package (10-year vesting), and employer paid life insurance and disability coverage.