Home > virtual
Have questions on MTA's upcoming virtual Board of Review Training?
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions that might help!
How can I meet the new state training mandate? To meet the PA 660-mandated training, you MUST attend the “Basic” session. The “Beyond” or “Advanced” sessions alone will not fulfill the requirement, unless taken with the “Basic” course.
What’s required to receive certification? You must log in to class using your name/title/township/county/email, enable your video and remain for the duration of the course. A quiz must be completed within five business days after class. Detailed instructions will be included in your confirmation. Since we cannot facilitate in-person training, the state is allowing some flexibility, but we’re still required to track and verify your participation. Those participating as a group and those without a webcam must sign in/out and sign an affidavit that they participated in the entire training. If you are unable to complete the entire "Basics" class on the same day, you must complete a tracking form (provided during class and posted to our website after class) noting what dates you participated so it can be verified.
If we pay the group rate, do we have to choose the same dates or watch together? Each group registrant will receive access to watch together, or individually. Each person MUST have an email address on file with MTA for individual access.
Can I change dates? Your registration includes access to ALL live dates for your selected session(s), plus on-demand access after the event. You can log in on any date (or dates) that works for you. If you’re participating on multiple dates, and unable complete the entire “Basic” session on the same day, you must complete a tracking form (provided during class and posted to our website after class) noting what dates you participated so it can be verified.
Will there be a recorded version? Recordings of each session WILL be available. However, please note that watching a recording has NOT been approved by the State Tax Commission to meet the new training mandate. It has been submitted for consideration and may be approved in the future.
Do I need Zoom? Yes, all sessions will be streamed using Zoom. If you already use Zoom, please ensure the app is updated on the device you will use for viewing the class. If you are new to Zoom, we recommended downloading the free app at https://zoom.us/download, prior to the event.
Do I need a webcam? We strongly suggest using a computer with a webcam for both the "Basic" and "Advanced sessions", if you wish to receive credit for either of these courses to meet the new state mandate (Basic class) or for Assessor's Renewal credits (Advanced class). There will be additional steps to complete if you do not have a webcam or are watching as a group in order to receive the credit.
Is the training included in my township's Premium Pass subscription? The new Board of Review Training webcast will be available on demand to Premium Pass subscribers from April - June, at no extra cost. To participate in the live virtual events, you must register and pay the appropriate fee.
Will there be live Board of Review Training this year? No. We hope return to our in-person Board of Review Training in 2022!
About the Event
MTA’s new virtual event platform includes many great resources. Watch for an email with the login link (coming the week of Jan. 18) then feel free to log on early and look around. A few highlights include:
- Basic, Beyond Basic and Advanced Training: Click on the appropriate section to view the live video stream for that class; links will appear about 5 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. To view a list of what classes will take place when, click on “Schedule At a Glance” in the app/website, or see the schedule below.
- Virtual bookstore: View and order a variety of publications available to help you succeed in your new role, including the new 2021 Board of Review Guide. As an attendee, you’ll get discounts on our entire library of books, all designed just for new officials!
- Handouts & Materials: Download presentations and other materials from this tab and view on your screen, or feel free to print them out ahead of time if you prefer to take notes the old-fashioned way.
Important Tech Tips
- Accessing the event via a laptop or PC? We strongly recommend the Chrome browser for best performance.
- Having login issues? Be sure you are using the email address that is on file with MTA. Or, you may need to clear your cache; click here for instructions.
- Having other issues? There might be a quick fix! View or download our troubleshooting guide (coming soon!) for help on common issues.
- What if I get logged out? If you log out or close your browser, simply click the link for the virtual event platform, then log in again using your email address and the password you created during the original login process. You'll want to rejoin the session as quickly as possible by clicking the "Join Live Stream" link to ensure you get full credit for attending.
For additional troubleshooting assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (517) 321-6467 and press 4. Our phone lines have been very busy, so email is often the fastest way to get a response. Also, please note that wait times for tech troubleshooting help will increase closer to the event start times. We appreciate your patience.
Virtual Event FAQs
- I didn't get the confirmation email, but I know I'm registered. Can I still log in? Yes! Simply use the link (coming soon!) and the email on file with MTA, and follow the directions to login. Also, please add the email address "email@example.com" (or even better, the "@michigantownships.org" domain) to your Safe Senders or "whitelist" in your email client. This will ensure future confirmations and other key communications from MTA can be delivered to you.
- I don't think you have my email address. What now? If you do NOT have an email on file with MTA, you must contact us prior to the start of the event to have your account in our virtual event platform set up. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible with your name, elected office or title, township/county and email address you wish to use for login.
- Will I need to have my camera on? For Board of Review Training Basic and Advanced sessions we strongly suggest using a computer with a webcam and leaving your camera on the entire time. This provides a visual verification to ensure you receive credit for attending these sessions.