Benton Charter Township, located in the southwest corner of Berrien County, Michigan is seeking to hire an individual for the position of Township Superintendent. At the direction of the Township Board, the Superintendent provides management of the overall day-to-day operations of the Township. Benton Charter Township is a diverse, financially stable, full-service community located on the shores of Lake Michigan with approximately 15,000 residents. The Township employs a staff of approximately 90 municipal workers made up of full-time police officers, full-time firefighters, public works employees and support staff. The summary of Essential Functions for the position is as follows:
- Enforcement of all laws and Township ordinances.
- Manage and supervise all public improvements and undertakings of the Township including construction, repair, and maintenance of all public buildings, the operation of Township utilities and/or property belonging to the Township.
- To see that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the Township or its inhabitants in any public utility franchise, or in any contract, are faithfully kept and performed.
- Attends all meetings of the Township board, prepare and administer the annual budget and keep the Board informed of the financial condition and needs of the Township, recommend to the Township board for adoption such measures deemed necessary or expedient.
- Responsible for the efficient administration of all Township departments. Act as the purchasing agent for the Township, conduct sales of personal property authorized to be sold by the Township Board.
- Assume the duties and responsibilities of Personnel Director for all Township employees as directed by the Township Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as may be prescribed by State Act or required by ordinance or direction of the Township Board.
Education and Experience Requirements: At least five years of experience in local government.
A bachelor’s degree in political science, business administration, public administration, or any other related field. A Master’s Degree (MPA /MBA) is preferred.
The well qualified candidate will possess the ability to delegate authority and responsibilities, perceptively engage the Elected Officials in a manner that is inclusive and respectful, understand local laws, codes and regulations, possess a thorough understanding of public finance and financial management in municipal government, experience in union and nonunion negotiations, HR management, and previous work within a racial and/or ethnically diverse, community.
Salary is commensurate to qualifications and experience. For a copy of the full job description, and/or application email Assistant Clerk Tammy Taylor at email@example.com, Applications and Resumes can be emailed or dropped at the Municipal Building between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.