Ypsilanti Charter Township is hiring a planning director. The Planning Director performs responsible professional land use planning work in maintaining and interpreting the Township comprehensive master plan, Township zoning and related ordinances. Responsible for local land use planning; performing research, analysis and evaluation of various planning and development requests. Oversees community development projects providing technical advice and guidance to the Township Board, Planning Commission, and Zoning Board of Appeals.
Essential Functions, Qualifications and KSA’s for Employment
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. These requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration.
- Considerable knowledge of urban planning principles.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of planning and zoning regulation.
- Leadership skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the elected officials, board and commission members, employees, and the public.
- Ability to compile, analyze, and present facts, making appropriate recommendations.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Skill in the use of the computer and computer software.
- Skill and ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Skill and ability to read and interpret specifications, blueprints and drawings.
- Ability to critically assess situations, problem solve, and work effectively within deadlines and changing work priorities.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course study in urban planning with seven - ten years of experience including supervisory responsibilities. Master’s degree in urban planning preferred.
- Experience in identifying grant opportunities, manage submission, and maintain reporting requirements for compliance with federal, state and local regulations preferred.
- State of Michigan registration as building official or plan reviewer is a plus, AICP certification preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license with a good driving record.
Salary Range: $85,000-$100,000 DOQ; Excellent benefit package includes: Medical/Pharmacy/Dental/Vision coverage; Defined Benefit Pension; Optional 457 Deferred Compensation Plans; Short/Long Term Disability; Life Insurance and PTO.
Complete Job description and application available at: www.ytown.org or in the HR Department at the Township Civic Center, 7200 S. Huron River Dr., Ypsilanti, MI.
Closing Date: Friday, November 22, 2019
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Charter Township of Ypsilanti is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. As such, the Charter Township of Ypsilanti provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), national origin, disability, genetic information (GINA), height, weight, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by state and federal laws. This policy of equal employment opportunity and anti-discrimination applies to all policies, procedures, terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits, working conditions and training.